Tuition Assistance Policy
The decision on where your child will attend school is a very personal and important decision. We know that parents desire a school that meets their needs and supports their values. Horizon Christian School offers a unique learning experience which inspires students to reach their God-given potential. We also understand that tuition for Christian education is a significant investment which may be beyond the means of some families. Thus, Horizon Christian School has two different opportunities for financial assistance available to families who qualify. One is the Indiana Choice Scholarship and the other is the SGO Scholarship.
Indiana Choice Scholarships (Vouchers)
The Indiana Choice Scholarship (voucher) program enables families to receive a credit or voucher payment that goes towards their tuition at Horizon Christian School. This program is available to students in Kindergarten through 12th grade. Students must satisfy both household income requirements and student eligibility criteria to qualify. More information can be found at www.doe.in.gov/choice.
How to Apply
- Apply for entrance to Horizon Christian School through the application on our website www.horizonindy.org/hcs and follow the admissions process.
- Upon acceptance to Horizon before September 1st 2016 and having the appropriate documents (current year’s taxes) to verify eligibility you may meet with our Financial Aid Coordinator who will apply to the Indiana Choice Scholarship program on your behalf. (Be aware that you must complete necessary paperwork at the time of application and also at various times throughout the year as required by the state of Indiana.)
- Each year when the number of accepted applicants exceeds the number of Choice Scholarship seats available, Horizon will hold a lottery to determine who will populate the available seats.
The SGO (Scholarship Granting Organization) Scholarship is an opportunity funded by private donors and corporations created to help families with partial tuition if they qualify through household income requirements. This program is available to students in Kindergarten through 12th grade. Students must satisfy both household income requirements and student eligibility criteria to qualify. Contributions to this fund offer a very excellent tax deduction. Please contact our Financial Aid Coordinator for more information about donating and income requirements.
How to Apply
Upon acceptance to Horizon, and having the appropriate documents to verify eligibility, you may apply for an SGO through one of the methods listed below:
- Use the FACTS management website. If you are only eligible for an SGO scholarship this is how you will apply. https://online.factsmgt.com/signin/4JFTR
- If you have applied and received a voucher, your awards letter is your proof of eligibility for an SGO award so you can meet with our Financial Aid Coordinator and she will apply for an SGO scholarship on your behalf. Not all families who receive a voucher also receive an SGO award; it is based on family need.
SGO decisions are announced during the summer by our Financial Aid Coordinator. Decisions are made based on family need and amount of funds available.
Horizon Christian School admits students of any race, color, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin in the administration of its educational policies, admission policy, tuition assistance policy and athletic and other school administered programs.
In the event Horizon finds it necessary to use a lottery for available seats, the following process will be utilized:
- You must be accepted to Horizon Christian School.
- All necessary paperwork must be turned in.
- You must have been determined to meet eligibility criteria for both income and pathway according to the state guidelines. www.doe.in.gov/choice.
The lottery process will be as follows:
- The lottery date and time will be provided to all families whose students will be included in the lottery process via the email address on file.
- On the lottery date, starting with the highest grade level where a lottery is necessary, HCS will put each eligible student name on an equal size and weight paper in a container. There will be one priority container for employee’s students and siblings of current students, and a second container for students from new families.
- All names will be drawn first from the priority container, and when empty, all names will be drawn from the second container and the order in which each name was drawn will be recorded.
- Families will be notified by email in the order their name was drawn until all scholarship seats are filled to give them the opportunity to enroll.
- After the lottery, students that are subsequently accepted and determined to qualify for a voucher will be added to one of the two lists (priority and regular) in the order they complete the required documentation and are accepted. HCS will continue to notify families as seats become available by continuing down the lists, giving preference to the priority list, on a first-come first-served basis.
If no lottery is necessary for a particular grade, all eligible students will be granted a seat on the day of the lottery. After the lottery, additional seats may be granted on a first-come, first-served basis. Once notified that a seat is available, families will have 10 calendar days to enroll by paying the registration fee before their seat may be offered to the next student on the lists.